Tuesday, May 24, 2011

First Impressions: 3DS

Alright. So I thought to really kick this off I may as well give my first impression on the newest handheld around. The Nintendo 3DS!

For those of you who are not familiar, the 3DS came out just this year and has grabbed a lot of attention because of its ability to show 3D graphics without the use of annoying 3D glasses. Other than that it also touts a wider top screen, two external cameras for 3D images and AR games (alternate reality games, I'll explain later) a touchscreen, a microphone, an internal camera for taking pictures of yourself, and an analog stick (!)

For people who have played with the DSi the hardware feels very similar but includes the welcome addition of the analog stick. The software feels like an extension of the Wii, especially with the ability to create and share Miis. You can also customize panels on the home screen to have easy access to your favorites and it has built in shortcuts for notifications, wireless connectivity, and web browsing (eventually).

Right out of the box the 3DS impressed me with the amount of content it gives you. Along with the previously mentioned Miis you have FaceRaiders, AR Games, the Streetpass Plaza(a way to share Miis and play games via proximity to other 3DS systems), the camera (with some simple editing abilities), and a mini sound studio.

Most of the content feels like little tech demos of what the system can do but they are still fun tech demos. The camera actually works surprisingly well and even has some recognition software used for making Miis, capturing faces, and reading the AR Cards.  AR Games is probably the most time consuming of the apps out of the box. Basically the game has you scan these little cards that come with the system using the camera and uses that image to create an alternate reality game using whatever space you place the card. It is enjoyable but can be a bit frustrating because if you lose focus of the AR card it shuts off the game, but overall it is a pretty awesome experience and one that I always dreamed of as a child.

One thing I think parents might appreciate is the addition of Play Coins. The system tracks how many steps you take in a day and rewards you with this virtual currency. They can be used to purchase extra content in games (puzzle pieces, new modes, etc). I have been mostly using mine on the Street Pass games but I can see where it could lend itself to other games quite well.

Overall the system has a great feel and a lot to experience before even purchasing a game for it. The upcoming software updates will only improve the system (can't wait for downloadable games).  There are only a couple things I don't love about it.  One would be the battery life (around 3-4 hours, so I have the brightness all the way down) and the other would be the stylus (its a telescoping design, which I don't mind but it is placed similarly to the original DS, which feels clunky when trying to get at it in the middle of a game). Both of these things are still fine, just not as great as the glorious DS Lite.

As for the 3D effect. I personally think it is neat but I honestly keep it shut off the majority of the time as it is not actually needed for playing any of the games and in fact sometimes makes it more difficult. You have to be viewing the system pretty much straight on to get the effect and it becomes bothersome after a while. However, it can be altered on the fly so it doesn't get in the way. I'll be curious to see if any games include it as an actual mechanic but so far it is simply for show.

To wrap up here, the system feels like a worthy successor to the DS and I am very excited to see its future. The $250 price is a little steep but will definitely be worth it as the game library grows. The 3DS has a lot of room to keep improving on handheld gaming as a whole and it has a lot of potential so I really hope Nintendo makes the best of it. I am personally looking forward to the improved connectivity (one friend code per system!) and seeing what games can do with the new system hardware.  Let me know what you think of the system and its future in the comments section.

Next week I will be posting my first game review of Pokemon White. If you own the game and have specific topics you would like me to address or if you are curious about the game and would like to know more please comment on this post and I will include them next week! Thanks for reading!

Here are some quick pictures I snapped of the system to give you a sense of what it looks like.

No comments:

Post a Comment