Tuesday, June 7, 2011

Industry News: E3! Handheld Edition

Alright, I know what I said.  I said this would be a Retro Review on The World Ends With You.  But how can I not talk about E3?!  Seriously.  Especially with a new handheld being released and a bunch of games announced for said handhelds and Nintendo's new system that is basically a system you play with a handheld.  Its a lot of stuff to cover so lets dive in!

Sony. Vita.  PSVita.  This is the big news.  This is the stuff.  This is what I was waiting for from Sony.  The PSP honestly never excited me a ton.  It had its games and they were fine but The PSVita is gonna be where it is at for me.  Its a breath of new life for the Sony portable market.  Touchscreen.  Track Pad.  $250.  So. Good.  I am pumped.  The little tech demos they threw out there were exciting and it was nice seeing them connect it to the PS3.  Sony is further along towards a unified experience than any of The Big Three, and that excites me.  I could care less about a 3G version of the device but it lends itself to Sony's vision of how they want people to play their games.

Sony Suite is also an awesome step for the company.  I personally have an android device and we can already see some of the gaming power mobile phones have pumped out.  Sony Suite will go a long way toward making mobile phones a part of the 'hardcore' gaming experience.  I just hope some of the Sony classics get brought onto the Suite.

Moving beyond just the hardware announcement we also saw a number of planned game releases.  It seems like for the PSVita there is a portable version of many of the major games announced for the PS3.  I am personally most looking forward to Mod Nation Racers but Little Big Planet's new offerings are interesting as well.  Personally, I am not much of one for core games but even those look like awesome portable additions.  I can hardly wait to see it all.

Nintendo had their own major announcements for the 3DS.  Most of them we already had a guess for but it is still nice to see some actual gameplay trailors.  Kid Icarus was by far the most impressive announcement for me, strictly for the 3v3 multiplayer.  But as a more subtle release Nintendo also launched the update to the 3DS, along with a free copy of Excitebike (meh, cool but whatever) a re-release of Link's Awakening (already downloaded and playing), free Zelda Four Swords eventually (pretty exciting), web browser, 3D Pokedex, and the E-Shop as a whole.

Anyway, there is far too much for me to cover all on my own in any major detail but I urge you to check it out for yourselves.  Let me know what you are looking forward to most from the handheld world!


Oh, and one final remark from me... TEASER FOR A PORTABLE SMASH BROS! WOO!

No comments:

Post a Comment